Thursday, April 28, 2011

mail order name seals (chops)


I have had soooo many readers ask me how they can get their own name seals (hanko) for use with etegami and other art in the traditions of Japan or China. Etegami is a folk art that makes no pretense at being Great Art, so I usually recommend carving your own hanko from a rubber eraser. I describe the process in this post.

However, I do understand the attraction of having one professionally engraved, using Chinese or Japanese characters that were chosen to fit the pronunciation-- or even meaning-- of your name. I recently came across an online business that might suit the purpose. It was mentioned in one of the discussion groups on the IUOMA (International Union of Mail Artists) website. I haven't used their services myself, you understand, but the website is in English; they accept credit cards; you can even pay via Pay Pal; and it seems they will ship anywhere in the world. They are called SEALSTONES.COM

If you've been searching for a way to have a wood or stone hanko designed for you, I hope this information helps. If you have tried other sources, and found one you can recommend, let me know so I can add the information here.

4 comments:

  1. So nice of you to share this resource! I've always wondered about this, myself. Thanks again! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have prepared .
    http://rovok.blogspot.com/2011/04/31feladat.html
    Thanks for your help! <3
    Kri

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great suggestion. I will try that.

    ReplyDelete