Wednesday, August 2, 2017

stamp people (the sparkler)


In Japan, August is the month for school vacation, cool cotton kimonos called yukata, hand-held flat fans called uchiwa, honoring deceased ancestors, telling ghost stories, and community festivals with folk dancing and firework displays. 

I've always been partial to the hand-held sparklers called senkou-hanabi (incense sparklers) myself. When the sparkling ball at the end of the thin stick dulls and plops to the ground, we are reminded that summer (like life) does not last forever. Which is the sort of bitter-sweet, melancholic symbolism that delights the Japanese soul. 

The writing on this Stamp People collage is in Japanese, and translates to: "When You Sparkle The World Sparkles With You." You can see that I tried to hide the hands on the postage stamp by adding hair. But it doesn't quite work. Cute stamp though, isn't it?

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I LOVE sparklers and they make me feel like I'm 6 again. �� This is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. Yes, sparklers make me feel like a child again too. Japanese sparklers are the best best best!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I might be asking your help with my next Stamp People card. Will contact you through your page....

      Delete